Thursday 13 August 2009

Studio Diary: Wednesday, 12th August; Day 25


Need to catch up! Today we were to meet at denis’ to leave for zigi at 8. We were heading to zigi to record vocals. Zigi is a quaint little village by the sea and Theo has a house there in the hills in the middle of nowhere; which means we can be as loud as we like without the cops ‘busting our asses’. It’s also a well cool atmosphere, chilled out, sun, sea, scenic nature, silence and so on and so forth.
We left Denis at 10am since we still had to render tracks. On arriving we scouted the house for a location to record. We used the utility room as the vocal room, passing cables out the window to the room next door, which would be the control room. The setup was genius. We began going through tracks, I left a bit earlier and I think we got 4-5 tracks done just clean vocals first and only Denis and Theo since I have tonsillitis. We took a break at one point and acoustic-ed it up in the swimming pool room, since the reverb is wonderful, and Theo did percussion with the water.

A highly amusing point during recording: Denis was singing and about a minute in, Theo says ‘talk’. Denis says ‘I am’. Theo says ‘no sing’. Denis says ‘what do u think I’m doing’. I think that was it, maybe I don’t get it and was laughing at something else cos right now it doesn’t seem funny.

No comments: